Criminal Law: What to do if the police detain you?

If you have been detained by the police, you should request to speak to your lawyer before speaking with the police because anything you say can be used as evidence against you.

In these situations, please remain calm and contact a criminal lawyer to explain the circumstances of the event. If you are unsure, you can also request the police to explain to you the reason for your detention and questioning. If you wish to complain or report the misconduct of the police, you may also ask for their names, station, and rank.

Additionally, if you need an interpreter, you may request one from the police, and the related expenses will be the responsibility of the police.

If you have any questions about your rights in relation to the law, please contact us immediately. Our criminal lawyers can assist you in resolving your legal issues.

Source: https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/being-arrested

Disclaimer: The above information provides general legal knowledge and should not be considered as tailored advice for your individual case. The law is complex, and we strongly recommend that you seek professional legal advice. Canaan Law Firm will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the information contained or omitted in the above.