Chinese lawyers with extensive experience in handling drink driving and all traffic offence charges

In Australia, the legal consequences of a traffic offence can include fines, demerit points, licence suspension, conviction/criminal record or even jail time. 

Our team of experienced lawyers is here to help you navigate the complex legal system and protect your rights against traffic offence charges. We have a deep understanding of the Australian legal system and have a successful track record of representing clients in court and negotiating with prosecutors to achieve the best possible outcome for their matters.

Whether you are looking to contest an infringement notice or minimise the consequences of a conviction/criminal record, we are here to help.

Our experienced, Chinese-speaking lawyers have handled a wide range of traffic offences, including:

  • Drink Driving;
  • Speeding;
  • Careless Driving;
  • Dangerous Driving;
  • Driving Without a valid license;
  • Improper use of a Motor/vehicle;
  • Hit and Run; and
  • Licence Suspension/Revocation.

If any of the statements resonate with you, you should speak to our lawyer today to find out the best course of action.

  • You have received a charge sheet or a court appearance request for a traffic offence, and you are unsure of what to do next. 
  • You are facing the possibility of losing your license due to accumulated points or other violations. 
  • You believe that the charges against you are unfair or inaccurate.
  • You are concerned about the potential consequences of a conviction/criminal record.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I receive an infringement notice for a driving offence in Australia?

If you receive an infringement notice for a traffic offence in Australia, you may be facing fines, demerit points, and potentially a licence suspension or disqualification.

In addition, depending on the severity of the offence, you may also face a conviction/ criminal record. We strongly recommend that you consult a lawyer to confirm whether you will be charged with a criminal record to help you take the best course of action.

You may also engage a lawyer to fight the infringement notice if you wish to contest it.

What should I do if I forget to pay off an infringement notice for a driving offence in Australia?

If you forget to pay off an infringement notice for a driving offence in Australia, you may face additional penalties, including licence suspension, fines, and even court action. It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible to avoid these consequences and reduce the penalties you may face.

Will my charges be dropped if I do not attend the hearing?

No. Failing to attend court can result in serious legal consequences, including a conviction/ criminal record, a warrant being issued for your arrest and potential imprisonment. It can also negatively impact your matter and make it more difficult to achieve a favourable outcome. If you cannot attend a hearing, you should notify the court and explain your circumstances.

Seek legal advice today to determine the best course of action.

If I plead guilty for a traffic offence, will I get a lighter sentence?

This is not always true. Pleading guilty may make the process quicker, but it does not guarantee a lighter sentence. Depending on the circumstances of your case, pleading guilty may also result in a harsher sentence as the court may consider it as an admission of guilt.

If you are not certain about the consequences of a guilty plea and want legal advice on your matter, contact us to find out how we can fight a fair outcome in your matter. We can provide guidance on the best course of action, negotiate with the prosecution and assist you with the plea process. 

What happens if I do not plead guilty for a traffic offence?

If you do not plead guilty for a driving offence, your matter will proceed to trial. This means that a judge or magistrate will hear evidence from both you and the prosecution, and make a decision on whether you are guilty or not guilty.

Contact us today to understand the strength of your matter, advise you on your options to give you the best chance of achieving a positive outcome.

Do I need a lawyer for a driving offence? Can I represent myself in court for a traffic offence?

Representing oneself in court for a traffic offence in Australia is not recommended due to potentially serious consequences such as fines, licence suspension, conviction/ criminal record, and jail time, even for minor offences. The legal system is complex, and self-representation can put you at a disadvantage.

It is highly recommended to have a driving offence lawyer to present evidence in your defence and negotiate with the prosecution for potential penalty reduction. Contact us now to fight for a fair outcome in your case.

Contact us now to learn about how we can fight for a fair outcome.

Will I be getting a criminal record and a prison sentence for drink driving?

It depends on the severity of the offence and your criminal history. Drink driving is a serious offence in Australia, with penalties ranging from fines and license suspension to imprisonment, depending on factors like alcohol levels, accidents, and criminal history.

Seek legal advice from our lawyers who can assess your case and help you minimise consequences. We can help you fight the charges if you wish to contest them, or negotiate with the prosecution and assist you with the plea process.

What is Canaan Lawyers' experience in handling traffic offence?

Our team of experienced lawyers are highly skilled in all aspects of traffic offences. We have a proven track record of successfully negotiating with prosecutors to achieve favourable outcomes for our clients. We also have experience in helping clients apply for diversion programs and avoid a criminal record, where possible.

Contact us today to speak with one of our experienced lawyers about your case.

^This FAQ content is general in nature and not intended as legal advice. For specific legal advice regarding your situation, we strongly advise you to consult with experienced lawyers.

Book a 30-minute consultation now and get the strategy to achieve your desired outcomes


Making Acquaintance 

Understand your matter

Lock in time for consultation 


Address your concerns

Answer all your questions

Confirm your desired outcomes


Offer the best strategy

Outline an execution plan

Provide a fixed-fee quotation 

Not satisfied with your consultation?

Full refund guarantee

No question asked

On the same day


Need help with drink driving offence or other traffic offence? Speak to our Chinese lawyers in Melbourne today.

If you are facing a traffic offence, Canaan Lawyers is committed to helping you achieve the best possible outcome. Our experienced team of lawyers will fight for your rights and work tirelessly to minimise the impact of the charges on your life. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers.

At Canaan Lawyers, we pride ourselves in our ability to provide premium law services in a variety of different areas, including criminal law, commercial law and litigation. If you have any questions or would like to arrange an appointment with one of our Chinese lawyers in Melbourne, get in touch with our team today. Our Melbourne based office can be reached on 03 9620 0888. Alternatively, you can send an email to or fill out our online enquiry form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.