Experienced Chinese-speaking police misconduct lawyers

Police misconduct refers to any illegal or unethical actions performed by law enforcement officers. Examples of misconduct may include excessive use of force, racial profiling, false arrests, sexual harassment, and more. If you have been subjected to police misconduct, regardless of the nature of the harm suffered, you may have grounds for reporting and pursuing legal action. This could include physical injuries, emotional trauma, psychological damage, damage to reputation, or other types of harm.

Our team of experienced lawyers understands the complexities of police misconduct cases and will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and seek justice on your behalf. We are committed to providing our clients with personalised attention, clear communication, and compassionate support throughout the legal process.

Whether you are suffering from excessive use of force, false arrest, or other forms of abuse of process and power, our lawyers are here to help.

Our police misconduct lawyers will work with you every step of the way, from conducting an initial investigation to presenting your case in court. In the past, we have helped clients who have suffered from a wide range of police misconduct and abuse of power:

  • Failing to act or investigate;
  • Inappropriate use of capsicum spray;
  • Excessive use of force;
  • Threat to harm;
  • Pointing of a gun;
  • Racial profiling;
  • Illegal searches;
  • Wrongful arrest;
  • Assault or sexual assault
  • False detention, custody, and imprisonment;
  • Malicious prosecution;
  • Corruption; and
  • Unlawful release to the public of confidential information retained by the Police.

Our police misconduct lawyers have experience in dealing with all these types of cases and will provide dedicated legal representation to help you seek justice and hold the police accountable for their actions.

Frequently asked question

What should I do if I experience police misconduct or abuse of power?

If you experience police misconduct or any abuse of power, it is important to document the incident as soon as possible. This may include taking photographs or videos of the incident, gathering the contact information of witnesses, and writing down the details of what happened. You should also seek medical attention if you were injured.

It is recommended to file a complaint with the relevant police department or agency. Contact us to find out what your options are.

What are my legal rights if I experience police misconduct?

Individuals who experience police misconduct may have legal rights to seek compensation and justice. This can include filing a civil lawsuit against the officer or department, filing a complaint with the department’s internal affairs division, or seeking criminal charges against the officer.

It is important to seek legal advice from lawyers who have experience handling police misconduct cases. They can advise you on the legal options available to you and help you navigate the legal system.

What kind of compensation can victims of police misconduct receive?

Victims of police misconduct may be entitled to compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded to punish the responsible parties and deter future misconduct.

How can I tell if I have a claim for police misconduct?

To determine if you have a claim for police misconduct, there are several factors to consider:

  • You must have evidence of police wrongdoing, such as police brutality, false arrest, or malicious prosecution. This can include physical evidence, witness statements, video footage, and police reports;
  • you must have suffered some form of injury or damages because of the misconduct, such as physical injuries, emotional distress, lost wages, or damage to property. It is important to document all of your injuries and damages and keep a record of all related expenses;
  • you must not miss the deadline for filing your lawsuit as there is a time limit for bringing a lawsuit against the police for misconduct, which varies by state but it generally falls between one to three years.

Seek legal advice as soon as possible to understand the best course of action.

Is it possible to make a claim for police misconduct if the statute of limitations has already passed?

If the statute of limitations for suing the police for misconduct has expired, you may not be able to pursue legal action against them. Once the statute of limitations has passed, it typically means that the time limit to file a lawsuit has lapsed and the court may dismiss the case without hearing it.

However, some states may have exceptions to the statute of limitations for specific circumstances such as when the plaintiff was a minor or when new evidence has been discovered. Contact us to understand the options available to you in such a situation.

^This FAQ content is general in nature and not intended as legal advice. For specific legal advice regarding your situation, we strongly advise you to consult with experienced lawyers.

Book a 30-minute consultation now and get the strategy to achieve your desired outcomes


Making Acquaintance 

Understand your matter

Lock in time for consultation 


Address your concerns

Answer all your questions

Confirm your desired outcomes


Offer the best strategy

Outline an execution plan

Provide a fixed-fee quotation 

Not satisfied with your consultation?

Full refund guarantee

No question asked

On the same day


Need help with police misconduct or any abuse of power? Speak to our Chinese lawyers in Melbourne today.

If you are facing any form of police misconduct or abuse of process or power, Canaan Lawyers is committed to helping you achieve the best possible outcome. Our experienced lawyers will fight for your rights and work tirelessly to minimise the impact of the charges on your life. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with us.

At Canaan Lawyers, we pride ourselves in our ability to provide premium law services in a variety of different areas, including criminal law, commercial law and litigation. If you have any questions or would like to arrange an appointment with one of our Chinese lawyers in Melbourne, get in touch with our team today. Our Melbourne based office can be reached on 03 9620 0888. Alternatively, you can send an email to info@canaanlawyers.com.au or fill out our online enquiry form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.