Need to enforce your child custody agreement? This legal document can help!

Custody battles can have a significant impact on a child’s development. If both parties can reach an agreement, it can help to mitigate the damage of divorce to the child.

If you and your ex-spouse have reached an agreement, you can choose to sign a parenting plan. A parenting plan is a document that outlines the child’s custody arrangements, and it is created by the parents themselves. This plan is not a legal document, but both parents are expected to abide by the terms of the agreement.

However, if you want your agreement to have legal weight, you can also sign it and file it with the court as a consent order. A consent order is a court order that is issued after the court has reviewed the parties’ agreement. Because consent orders have the force of law, if one party violates the order, the other party can file a lawsuit to enforce the order.

If you have any legal questions regarding child custody, please contact us immediately. Our Family Lawyers will answer your legal questions and provide you with professional strategies to safeguard your rights.

*Disclaimer: The above content is provided as general legal knowledge and should not be taken as specific advice for your individual situation. The law is complex, and we strongly recommend consulting professional legal advice. Canaan Lawyers shall not be held liable for any loss or damage caused by the information contained or omitted in the above content.